Guangzhou, Wade-Giles romanization Kuang-chou, conventional Canton or Kwangchow, city, capital of Guangdong sheng (province), southern China. Its city center lies near the head of the Pearl River (Zhu Jiang) Delta, more than 90 miles (145 km) inland from the South China Sea. Because of its position at the meeting point of inland rivers and the sea, it has long been one of China’s main commercial and trading centres. It has served as a doorway for foreign influence since the 3rd century CE and was the first Chinese port to be regularly visited by European traders, who called it Canton. The city is a historic center of learning. And as a center of political activity for the Chinese Nationalist leader Sun Yat-sen (Sun Zhongshan), it was one of the cradles of the Chinese Revolution of 1911–12. Area central city districts, 108 square miles (280 square km); all city districts, 1,484 square miles (3,843 square km); mun., 2,870 square miles (7,434 square km). Pop. (2007 est.) central city districts, 3,461,100; all city districts, 6,367,700; mun., 7,734,800.
Located in the south-central part of Guangdong province, Guangzhou is a regional centre in southern China. The main part of the city is situated on the north bank of the Pearl River, which branches off the Xi (West) River before meeting with the Dong (East) River and forms the northern border of the immense Pearl River Delta to the south.
The central districts of the city lie to the south of Baiyun (“White Cloud”) Mountain, which rises to 1,253 feet (382 metres) above sea level about 4 miles (6 km) from the city centre. At the southern extension of Baiyun Mountain is Yuexiu Mountain, on which lived the earliest known inhabitants of the region. Archaeological work revealed that the site of the city during the Qin (221–206 BCE) and the Han (206 BCE–220 CE) dynasties was slightly north of the modern urban centre. Later the city expanded southward as river-borne silt and sand were deposited and the Pearl gradually became narrower.
Old Guangzhou was a crowded city of narrow streets and winding alleys. A vigorous modernization program was carried out in the 1920s and ’30s, during which wide streets were built, modern sewers introduced, arcades constructed for sidewalk shops, and numerous parks created. New dikes built along the Pearl allowed the city to expand southward to its present waterfront. Until the 1980s, the hills to the north restricted growth there, and the numerous waterways to the west also were a barrier; and Guangzhou’s subsequent expansion was mainly into the low plains to the east. However, with the influx of people after that, the city began to grow rapidly in all directions—notably to the north and south—though the core districts have remained concentrated around the old city site close to the riverbanks.
Guangzhou has a subtropical monsoon (wet-dry) climate, which is typical of southeastern China. From May through early October, the summer season is long, wet, hot, and humid; south and southwest winds are often accompanied by typhoons (tropical cyclones), which are sometimes destructive. The July mean temperature is 83 °F (28 °C). The drier winter period lasts from November through early February and is mild and free of snow; the January mean temperature is 56 °F (13 °C). The third season, from February through April, is a period of transition that is marked by muggy weather. The average annual rainfall is about 64 inches (1,625 mm). Farmers in the Guangzhou area enjoy a year-round growing season. Flowers can be seen blooming throughout the year in Guangzhou, which has given rise to its nickname “city of flowers” (huacheng).
The central districts of Guangzhou stretch along a waterfront that runs south and then east along the Pearl River. The Old City (dating to the Ming dynasty and now mostly in the Yuexiu district), part of the district of Liwan to the west, and Tianhe district to the east are located on the north bank. On the south bank is the district of Haizhu, formerly largely industrial but now more given over to business offices, financial institutions, and other service-related activities. All these districts now comprise the core area of the city.
Yuexiu district is the commercial and financial centre of Guangzhou, as well as the site of provincial and municipal government offices. Included within it are the city’s major hotels, department stores, and cinemas; traditional Chinese buildings are rarely found in this district, except in the hills to the north. Skyscrapers line the banks of the Pearl in the downtown area and ring Haizhu Square, a huge open space by the river. Yuexiu’s original area, centred on the intersection of Guangzhou’s two main thoroughfares—the north-south Jiefang Lu (Liberation Avenue) and the east-west Zhongshan Lu (Sun Yat-sen Avenue)—was enlarged with the addition in 2005 of the former Dongshan district to the east. The Peasant Movement Training Institute, which flourished in the mid-1920s under the leadership of Mao Zedong, is on Jiefang Lu just east of that intersection. Also located in the vicinity are the Huaisheng Mosque (built 627 CE), considered to be the oldest mosque in China; the Buddhist Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si), founded in the 5th century, and its nine-story Flower Pagoda (Huata); and, south of the intersection and west of Zhongshan Lu, the Gothic-style Roman Catholic cathedral of the Sacred Heart, built in the 1860s.
Yuexiu Park, in the northern part of the district, is one of the city’s largest green spaces. Within the park are artificial lakes, a five-story red pagoda (built in 1380) that now houses the Guangzhou Municipal Museum, a flower exhibition hall, and sports and recreational facilities. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (1931) is located immediately to its south. To the west of the park is the Guangzhou Foreign Trade Centre, which from the late 1950s to the early 21st century was the site of the China Import and Export Fair (also called the Guangzhou Trade Fair). The eastern (former Dongshan) portion of the district is home to two important sites—the Martyrs Memorial Park, dedicated to those killed in the uprising against the Nationalists (Kuomintang) in 1927, and a mausoleum for the 72 people killed during an unsuccessful revolt against the Qing dynasty in 1911. The area is also home to the Guangzhou Zoo.
The original Liwan district occupied the western part of the Old City, as well as a large island in the Pearl River to the west. It too was enlarged considerably in 2005, when it merged with Fangcun district, across the river to the southwest. The old part of the district has retained much traditional-style Chinese housing alongside a growing number of modern high-rise buildings. Liwan Park is located at the northern end of the district near the Pearl River Bridge, and northeast of there is Liuhua Park. To the southeast of Liwan Park, Shamian, a tiny island in the Pearl along the southern bank of the original district, was once an exclusive enclave of the British and French, and is noted for its Western-style mansions. The Fangcun area has long been known for its flower and tea markets.
Tianhe district, east of the Dongshan area, was created in 1985 from parts of the former eastern suburbs, and it is now considered to be one of the core districts of the central municipality. Its mixed urban and suburban landscapes now include business and shopping centres constructed along with high-rise office and residential buildings. Tianhe Science and Technology Park is home to many businesses engaged in the development of high technology and advanced software. In addition, many of the city’s institutions of higher learning are located in Tianhe. It has been targeted as the city’s new central business district for the 21st century. As part of that, the 103-story Guangzhou International Finance Center office tower opened in 2010 in the southwest part of the district, near the Pearl; the 111-story CTF (Chow Tai Fook) Finance Centre, a mixed-use tower, opened nearby in 2016.
South of the Pearl is Haizhu district. It was long characterized by modern residential quarters and large industrial centres, but since the late 1980s a growing number of financial and business firms have established themselves there. Of great significance was the completion in the early 21st century of the first phase of the Guangzhou International Convention and Exhibition Center (Pazhou Complex) on Pazhou Island in the Pearl River. One of the largest such venues in the world, it hosts Guangzhou’s major trade shows (including the Guangzhou Trade Fair) and has spurred rapid development of Haizhu’s commerce and tourism-related service sectors. Also located in the district are the south campus of Sun Yat-sen University (founded 1924) and the Pearl River (Zhujiang) Film Studio (now called Pearl River Film Group), one of the major film producers in China.
Guangzhou is one of the most densely inhabited areas in China; most of its residents live in the central districts of the city. The local people, called Cantonese, speak the Cantonese language (Yueyu), which is distinctly different from the Mandarin spoken by most Chinese. However, with growing numbers of immigrants from northern and eastern China coming to live and work in the city, both Cantonese and Mandarin are now popularly used.
The earliest inhabitants, of Tai or Shan origin, were assimilated by the Chinese (Han) long ago. There are, however, small groups of Manchu and Chinese Muslims (Hui) in the city. A notable demographic feature is the large number of “overseas Chinese” who emigrated to Southeast Asia, the United States, Europe, and other parts of the world. Since the 1980s many of them returned and resettled in and around Guangzhou. Another phenomenon that emerged since the 1980s is the presence of a large transient population of workers from other provinces or even overseas. These workers temporarily reside in the Guangzhou area to work in factories or at other jobs before returning to their home regions.
Manufacturing and tourism
Since 1950 there has been substantial expansion of the city’s industries. The initial focus was on such light manufactures as electronics, textiles, newsprint, processed foods, and firecrackers. Smaller plants have also been developed to manufacture consumer goods. However, increasing investment has been made in heavy industries, including those producing machinery, chemicals (notably petrochemicals), iron and steel, and cement, as well as shipbuilding; in addition, automobile manufacturing has become important. The value of heavy manufactures now exceeds that of light industries. Since the late 1970s much of the investment in the Guangzhou region has been by foreigners based in Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan. The result of all this growth is that the city has become one of the major industrial complexes of southern China.
Guangzhou is celebrated for its many handicraft products, including ivory carvings, jade objects, embroideries, fans, porcelain, and paper umbrellas. These, along with the city’s famous cuisine and its many museums and other cultural attractions, have made Guangzhou one of China’s principal tourist destinations. Considerable effort has been focused on improving tourist facilities, and tourism has become an important component of the local economy.
Guangzhou traditionally was the centre of trade for Guangdong, Guangxi, and adjacent provinces of southern China. Products such as sugar, fruits, silk, timber, tea, and herbs were exported, whereas manufactured goods and industrial equipment were transshipped via Guangzhou into the interior. However, since the 1980s, a growing quantity of manufactured goods and equipment (including mechanical, electrical, and electronic products) has been exported via the city to the world. The semiannual China Import and Export Fair, which began in 1957, has become an institution of world trade.
Large shopping centres and wholesale markets established in the central districts of the city include department stores and specialty shops. Banks, including state and provincial and local and foreign commercial establishments, now have branches throughout the city area. Although the city does not have a stock exchange (such as those in nearby Shenzhen and Hong Kong), it does have several brokerage firms.
Buses and bicycles were once the principal means of transportation within the city. However, there has been a dramatic increase in the use of automobiles and motorcycles, and fewer bicycles are seen. As a result, the city has some of the worst traffic congestion in all of China. The traffic situation has been improved somewhat by widening streets, building more bridges across the Pearl River, and placing restrictions on motorcycle traffic at certain times of the day and in specific street zones downtown. More importantly, the city has been constructing an extensive subway network, several lines of which have been operating within the city and another to the city of Foshan southwest of Guangzhou. The system has come to play a major role in daily public transportation.
The Pearl River Delta is blessed with innumerable canals and creeks; the smaller canals are used by sampans (flat-bottomed boats propelled by oars) and the larger canals by steamers or motor launches. Guangzhou is a terminus of inland navigation and is also the focal point of coastal and ocean navigation for southern China. The Guangzhou Port Group, one of the largest port complexes in China, has its major facilities at Huangpu, which is 12 miles (19 km) downstream and now a district of the city; at Xinsha, farther downstream along the Pearl estuary; and at Nansha, which is at the southern end of the municipality near Hong Kong and now also is a district of the city. All these and other ports under the group have been expanded to accommodate vessels with displacements of 10,000 or more tons.
Guangzhou is served by railroads linking it north to Beijing, south to Kowloon (Hong Kong), east to the coastal city of Shantou and into Fujian province, and west to the port city of Zhanjiang and into Guangxi province. Guangdong has one of the country’s most advanced provincial highway systems. Major arterial roads and express highways link Guangzhou with other large cities in the province and with Macau and Hong Kong. The city’s new Baiyun International Airport (opened 2004), some 18 miles (30 km) north of the city centre, is the largest in southern China.
Guangzhou’s municipal government is part of the hierarchical structure of the Chinese government—and the parallel structure of the Chinese Communist Party—that extends from the national organization, through the provincial apparatus, to the municipal and, ultimately, neighbourhood levels. The principal responsibilities of the Guangzhou Municipal People’s Congress, the major decision-making body, include issuing administrative orders, determining the budget, and implementing economic plans. A standing committee selected from its members recommends policy decisions and oversees the operation of municipal government. Executive authority rests with the People’s Government of Guangzhou Municipality, the officers of which are elected by the congress; it consists of a mayor, executive vice mayors, vice mayors, and numerous bureaus in charge of public security, the judicial system, and other civil, economic, social, and cultural affairs.
The municipality is now divided into 10 districts (qu) and 2 county-level cities (xianjishi), each of which has a district or city mayoralty. Under a district there are police substations and street mayoralties. Neighbourhood associations have various functions, including mediating disputes, conducting literacy campaigns, supervising sanitation and welfare, and promoting family planning.
Health conditions improved dramatically during the 20th century, especially after 1950. Epidemics have been eliminated through the control of disease-carrying pests. Guangzhou has many high-quality hospitals with modern medical equipment. In addition, the city is a national hub of traditional Chinese medicine, centred around Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine (established 1956) and its network of affiliated hospitals and clinics.
Guangzhou is one of China’s most progressive cities in regard to education. In addition to a large number of kindergartens, primary schools, and middle schools, it has dozens of institutions of higher learning. In addition to Sun Yat-sen University and the school of Chinese medicine, these include Jinan University (1906), South China University of Technology (1952), South China Normal University (1933), Southern Medical University (1951), South China Agricultural University (1909), and Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts (1953). An ambitious project named Guangzhou University City was launched at the beginning of the 21st century, with the goal of creating a concentrated, multiple-campus college town on an island in the Pearl River south of the central city in Panyu district.
Guangzhou is a vibrant city. Large tracts of parkland, many of them created since 1949, help give the city its characteristically lush appearance and provide the citizenry with a wide variety of recreational facilities. The colourful flower show held during the annual Spring Festival is a major highlight. Although the Cantonese share some aspects of the modern lifestyle of Hong Kong’s residents, they also prize their own historical and cultural roots. Throngs of people are usually found visiting the city’s many museums and monuments of historical importance, and productions of Yue opera and Chao opera and of musical performances are well attended. Guangzhou is noted for its puppet plays that feature large puppets with finely carved wooden heads.
The library of Sun Yat-sen University has one of the largest holdings in China, including an extensive collection of vernacular-language works. Notable historic sites include the tomb of Zhao Mei, second ruler of Nanyue, a state that was incorporated into the Xi (Western) Han dynasty (206 BCE–25 CE); the restored campus of Huangpu (Whampoa) Military Academy; and the residence of Sun Yat-sen. The octagonal Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall is a 3,200-seat auditorium and has a bronze statue of Sun in front of the main entrance.
The vitality of the Cantonese people is exemplified by their passion for food. Cantonese cuisine is world-renowned, and the city’s hundreds of restaurants offer a seemingly endless variety of dishes. Many feature fresh ingredients, including locally caught seafood, that are quickly cooked, often by stir-frying. Congees (porridges made from rice or millet) and soups are often part of the meal. Some unusual local dishes include fried snake, cooked fish maw (swim bladder), fried shark’s fin, and fried chicken feet.
Modern recreational facilities have also enriched the city’s cultural life. Sports facilities, including stadiums, natatoriums, tennis courts, and a rowing centre, have added to the leisure diversions available to city residents. In addition, several new sports venues—including three gymnasiums, an aquatic centre, and an 18,000-seat indoor arena—were built when Guangzhou hosted the 2010 Asian Games. The tall, slender Canton Tower, constructed for both television broadcasting and recreational use, opened in 2010 on the south bank of the Pearl River in Haizhu district. Designed with a spiraling lattice exterior frame, the tower and its antenna have a total height of 1,969 feet (600 metres). Among its visitor facilities are restaurants and bars, a staircase that winds around the outside of its cylindrical core for more than 30 floors, and an open-air observation deck at the top of its 1,490-foot- (454-metre-) tall main structure.
The earliest known inhabitants of the Guangzhou area were the Baiyue, a Tai, or Shan, people. During the Xi (Western) Zhou dynasty (1146–771 BCE), the local Baiyue people pledged allegiance to the feudal state of Chu to the northeast, giving rise to the name of Chuting for the area. Later, a walled town known as Nanwu Cheng, in the northern section of the present-day city, was built during the Spring and Autumn (Chunqiu) period (770–476 BCE). Between 339 and 329 BCE the town was rebuilt and expanded and was known as Wuyang Cheng (“City of Five Goats”)—named for the legend that gods riding five goats descended from heaven and saved the city from famine.
Under the Qin dynasty (221–207 BCE), what was by then a small city (known as Panyu for the twin hills of Pan and Yu located in the area) was made the capital of Nanhai prefecture. Upon the fall of the Qin, Gen. Zhao Tuo (died 137 BCE) established an autonomous state known as Nanyue, which was annexed in 111 BCE by the Xi Han dynasty. For the next 300 years, Chinese assimilation of the Yue people proceeded, and the region was firmly integrated into the empire.
During the four centuries from the Three Kingdoms to the founding of the Tang dynasty in 618 CE, when North China was overrun by barbarian invaders, Guangzhou remained a part of the Chinese regimes. The city was first named Guangzhou in 226, when the Wu state of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguo) period set up a prefecture named Guangzhou there. During this period the city grew in wealth and population as an important trade port in southern China. Buddhist temples were erected, and a flourishing community was maintained by Arab and Hindu traders. Peace and prosperity were further augmented under the Tang (618–907). An auxiliary wall and settlement were built around the razed Yu Hill, but the city suffered much destruction during the civil strife at the end of the dynasty.
Under the Song dynasty (960–1279) the increase in Guangzhou’s population and the growth of foreign trade made it necessary to enlarge the city. A second auxiliary wall and settlement were constructed near the razed Pan Hill in the late 11th century. Under the Nan (Southern) Song (1127–1279), Chinese seafarers and traders sailed to Southeast Asia, thus opening the way for Chinese emigration abroad in subsequent ages. Also at that time, the rising port city of Quanzhou (in present-day Fujian province) replaced Guangzhou as the biggest trade port in China in terms of volume of trade. In the late 13th century and throughout the 14th, many Chinese families from North China moved into the Guangdong region in the wake of the Mongol conquest. Although the city suffered much destruction from the conquest, it subsequently experienced a booming economy under the Yuan (Mongol) dynasty (1206–1368), as the Yuan rulers encouraged maritime trade and kept Chinese-Mongol relations under control.
Under the Ming dynasty (1368–1644) the city underwent considerable rebuilding and expansion. In 1380 the old town and the two auxiliary districts were combined into one large walled city. In 1565 an outer wall was added on the south to incorporate the new commercial districts on the north bank of the Pearl. Meanwhile, the pattern of foreign trade changed as the supremacy of the Arabs ended with the coming of the Europeans. The Portuguese sent their first embassy to Guangzhou in the early 1500s, followed by the Dutch and the British in the 17th century.
Guangzhou next came under the rule of the Qing (Manchu) dynasty (1644–1911/12). Recognizing the importance of the city, in 1746 the government made it the capital of the Viceroyalty of Guangdong and Guangxi. The British East India Company established a “factory” (foreign traders’ residences and business offices) in Guangzhou in 1685, and annual trading operations began in 1699. Throughout the 18th century, French, Dutch, American, and other foreign nationals also established trade relations with the city; what became known as the “13 factories” (shisan hang or shisan yiguan) were located on the waterfront.
Trade moved with little difficulty until friction began to mount in the 1820s. The foreigners found trade restrictions (through licensed Chinese merchants known as cohongs [gonghangs]) too irksome, while the Chinese authorities refused to open normal diplomatic relations. The Chinese seized and destroyed large quantities of illegal opium brought in by the British in 1839, and in retaliation the British attacked Chinese positions in the Pearl River Delta. The first Opium War (1839–42) ended in humiliating defeat for China, and the city saved itself from destruction only by paying a large ransom.
The Treaty of Nanjing (1842) with the United Kingdom negotiated at the conclusion of the war provided for Guangzhou to be opened as a treaty port. In 1844 the French and the Americans obtained similar treaties. However, antiforeign sentiment ran high in Guangdong province, and the city refused to open its gates until 1857. The coolie trade (the shipment of Chinese contract labourers overseas) and the use of foreign flags to protect pirates caused several crises. The second Opium War (the Arrow War) broke out between China and Britain and France in 1856. Guangzhou was occupied by Anglo-French forces until 1861, and Shamian Island was made an Anglo-French concession in 1859.
Amid the woes of foreign imperialism, Guangzhou was deeply shaken by the great antidynastic outbreak of the Taiping Rebellion (1850–64), the leader of which, Hong Xiuquan, was born in the city’s northern suburb of Huaxian (now Huadu district). Many followers of Hong formed secret societies that kept his revolutionary ideals alive even after the failure of the rebellion. For the next 50 years anti-Manchu agitation formed one of the twin forces that gripped Guangzhou; the other was the rise of nationalism. Starting from the late 1840s, Hong Kong and Shanghai gradually replaced Guangzhou as a leading centre of foreign trade.
Guangzhou came under the spell of its most illustrious son, Sun Yat-sen, from 1895 to 1925. Sun made the city the testing ground for his campaign to overthrow the Manchu dynasty and to establish a Chinese republic. The Guangzhou Uprising of 1911 paved the way for the success of the Chinese Revolution of 1911–12. Guangzhou became the base of operations for action against the warlords between 1916 and 1925 and served as the headquarters of Sun’s Nationalist Party (Kuomintang, or Guomindang). Besides completing his Three Principles of the People, Sun reorganized the party in 1924 to reactivate the Nationalist revolution. All manner of people flocked to Guangzhou—the right- and left-wing members of the Kuomintang, the members of the newly formed Chinese Communist Party, and Soviet advisers. Chiang Kai-shek (Jiang Jieshi), Mao Zedong, and Zhou Enlai began their careers in Guangzhou under Sun’s tutelage.
Chiang gained power when he crushed an uprising by the Guangzhou Merchants’ Volunteer Corps and defeated the disloyal local warlords (1924). With Sun’s death in 1925, however, Guangzhou was embroiled in the power struggle between the communists and the Nationalists. In 1927 a communist-led coup attempted to set up a workers’ government in the city, only to be crushed by Chiang. From 1928 to 1937 Guangzhou was officially under the control of the Nationalist government, but it was actually controlled by independent leaders, who criticized Chiang’s dictatorship and threatened secession from the Nationalist government at Nanjing. In 1937, when war against the Japanese broke out, Guangzhou became a prime target of Japanese air raids. The city fell in 1938 and remained under Japanese occupation until 1945. Recovery did not begin until the communist government took control in 1949.
In 1921, during the Republican period, Guangzhou officially had been designated an administratively independent city under the Nationalist government, with the son of Sun Yat-sen being Guangzhou’s first mayor. At first, under the new communist regime, it retained its status as a municipality directly under the national government, but in 1954 the city was placed under the administration of Guangdong province. Another significant administrative change occurred in 2005, when some urban districts were amalgamated and a number of what until then had been suburbs became city districts under a much-enlarged municipality.
The modernization of Guangzhou had begun in the 1920s but was interrupted by the Japanese occupation. It resumed after 1949, especially from the late 1950s, when heavy industries were introduced. The city developed into one of China’s centres of foreign trade. Guangzhou benefited tremendously from China’s adoption of economic reform policies beginning in the early 1980s, particularly with the establishment of special economic zones in nearby Shenzhen and Zhuhai. Guangzhou underwent a sustained period of economic growth that continued into the early 21st century and was marked by considerable building construction and infrastructure development. In the process, the city reemerged as a financial and economic hub of southern China.
Forum related to people who live, work or considering to move to Guangzhou!
1 post • Page 1 of 1